Saturday 5 March 2016

Eliminate Institutionalism

Recently I had my parents evening at school and every teacher bombarded me with tones of homework and revision guides. And I understand that the purpose of them doing this is to help me get through school and get 'good' grades. But the thing I find frustrating about the whole system is that our lives are expected to be based around this final result, somehow it is believed that by achieving this your life will be complete. No, this is not right, learning and education started out as a way of people learning about their environment, the world, other beings on it and most importantly communication. It extended to curiosity about what was outside the world, then we started to become intrigued by how things worked and how we could make new things.
Instinctively we created the arts such as music, painting, dancing e.t.c And all this learning was something to be enjoyed and treasured, we were eager to learn. Sadly now that doesn't seem to be the case, especially in modern western society. School has become a bore, we sit in class staring at the clock longing for the lesson to be over, I am talking for a majority here not everybody. People comment on this saying its because "teenagers are lazy" or "ungrateful" or that we "expect everything in life to be handed to us just like that", but I don't think that is the case at all. I think its to do with the system, the feeling that learning is compulsory, it's forced upon us for the most of our childhood. 5 days a week we walk into an institution where we are required to stay focused, be on time, behave ourselves and we often find ourselves being shouted at my stressed adults. Okay, I understand that it is 'preparing us for the world out there' but the world shouldn't be like that, the world shouldn't be seen as a dangerous place it should be a place of freedom. When I say forced to learn I don't mean to make learning look negative because I am very grateful and appreciative of my education but learning doesn't need to be institutionalised. Humans have an instinct to learn and although schools give us the facilities to learn we can find them in many other places as now many of us have access to the internet where people post knowledge they have discovered. And true the inventors of computers and the internet went to school, collage and university. I am not saying these places should be limited but I do think that they shouldn't be compulsory and a forced requirement, because its likely that many people would still go to them out of choice.
I love to learn and I believe everybody does, its exciting, its just such a shame that school alters our feelings about learning and I hope in the future we can change this.

lots of love
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment